why we chose our decision making model
We get asked all the time, "How do people make decisions with their neighbours? How do I know my opinions will be heard?"
Community living requires a decision making model that is fair and transparent to everyone. We chose the Consensus Decision Making model to help us develop a strong, well-functioning community.
We opted for this model because it is:
- Agreement seeking: Tries to generate as much agreement as possible for the entire group.
- Collaborative: Participants create a proposal that considers the concerns of all members
- Cooperative: Participants often set aside personal preferences in deciding what's best for the community
- Egalitarian: Members have equal input into the
process and to present and amend proposals
- Inclusive: Members consider as many stakeholders as possible to reach a decision