“Our Urban Village is a multigenerational co-housing community that fosters caring and collaborative relationships. We value inclusivity, diversity and living lightly on the planet in a building designed to encourage community interactions. We value our amenity rich and vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood.”
- Importance of building community first before owning together
- Shared belief that it takes a village to raise a child
- Social cohesion as friends and neighbours
- Strata owned, market units — therefore no risk to other owners
- Shared resources like child care, cars and equipment
- Space for guests — no need for your own guest bedroom
- Car sharing (electrical or car cooperative)
- Transit and bike use
- Passive House
Our Hopes for the Community
Community is the most important building block for co-housing. We are looking for folks with a sense of adventure and curiosity. We want neighbours who have interests, are playful and enjoy each other’s company.
Here are some of the values we hope to share with our neighbours:
- We hope that we will listen to one another and consider each other’s ideas thoughtfully. Respect and trust will help us create a robust community.
- We hope that each of us will bring our unique talents to the group. Our collaboration will make our village more resourceful and richer.
- We hope members will be flexible and consider the good of the village above their own preferences when it is necessary. A village that works requires compromise sometimes.
- We hope members will participate in our meetings and events so we can build strong bonds as neighbours.
One of our core values is giving back. Since 2016 we have donated to Kiva, a charity that gives micro-loans to people in developing countries. Almost 100% pay back the loans, with interest. When the loan is repaid, Kiva allows you to reinvest the money to fund another project. As loans are repaid, we have reinvested all of the money to help communities overseas with their housing related projects.