our hopes for our community
Community is the most important building block for creating an urban village. We are looking for folks with a sense of adventure and curiosity. We want neighbours who have interests, are playful and enjoy each other's company.
Here are some of the values we hope to share with our neighbours.
- We hope that we will listen to one another and consider each other's ideas thoughtfully. Respect and trust will help us create a robust community.
- We hope that each of us will bring our unique talents to the group. Our collaboration will make our village more resourceful and richer.
- We hope villagers will be flexible and consider the good of the village above their own preferences when it is necessary. A village that works requires compromise sometimes.
- We hope villagers will participate in our meetings and events so we can build strong bonds as neighbours.
is cohousing for me?
How do you know if the cohousing lifestyle is for you?
• You desire a more meaningful connection with your neighbours
• You enjoy sharing and working with others
• You want to live lightly on the earth
• You want to live abundantly through sharing stuff and skills
• You want to age in place
• You want to raise your kids in an vibrant community
• You want to live among people from all walks of life
• You celebrate the diversity of people and cultures in your city
our vision statement
"Our Urban Village is a multigenerational cohousing community that fosters caring and collaborative relationships. We value inclusivity, diversity and living lightly on the planet in a building designed to encourage community interactions. We will locate in a walkable, amenity rich and vibrant Vancouver neighbourhood."
our key values
- Importance of building community first before owning together
- Shared belief that it takes a village to raise a child
- Social cohesion as friends and neighbours
- Strata owned, market value units -- therefore no risk to other owners
- Affordability for families as you don’t need to try to buy a house
- Shared resources like child care, cars, gardening and recreational equipment
- Space for guests without needing to own a larger suite yourself
- Car sharing (electrical or car cooperative)
- Transit and bike use
- Smaller ecological footprint for living
- LEED standards for design
- Garden space