As of September 4th, 2016 we've closed our group to new members as we pause to consider site options. We will let everyone on our mailing list know when we begin to accept new members again. If you want to be added to our mailing list, please email us through our contact page.
welcome to our urban village
We call our model "cohousing lite." Instead of designing our village from scratch as most communities do, we'll work with a developer of quality homes who can assign us as many units as possible in a new complex. Each of us would buy our own unit at market rates. Hopefully, that price will include our common space for regular shared meals and activities with our neighbours.
We are a positive, energetic, community minded people who agree that it takes a village to raise a child and enrich the lives of adults. We want to create a community for young urban professionals, families with kids, mid-career folks and empty nesters.
Our wish list:
- Walkable neighbourhood with access to transit
- A nearby elementary school
- 1 or 2 blocks off of a main street
- Open concept units, 9 foot ceilings
- Studios to 3 bedrooms, 400-1200 sq. ft.
- Lots of natural light
- Storage space for bikes and equipment
- A common space with a kitchen, dining area and a guest suite
We think we can live smaller (and better) with great architectural design and furniture.
Charles Montgomery's book, Happy City, inspired us to design OUV to maximize our interactions. Take a look at Charles' TED talk to learn more:
We've been hard at work. So far we've:
- met with 3 city councillors
- met with a city planner
- reached consensus on vision and values
- met with 13 developers and an architect
- held 5 workshops
- held 3 public info sessions
- hired our new facilitator, Kathy McGrenera
- been selected as a project by UBC School of Architecture
- 9 Equity Member households
- 1 Associate Member households