welcome to our urban village
We call our model "cohousing lite." Instead of designing our village from scratch as most communities do, we'll work with a developer of quality homes who can assign us as many units as possible in a new complex. Each of us would buy our own unit at market rates (currently around $750 to $850 a square foot). Hopefully, that price will include our common space for regular shared meals and activities with our neighbours.
We are seeking positive, energetic, community minded people who agree that it takes a village to raise a child and enrich the lives of adults. We are looking for young urban professionals, families with kids, mid-career folks and empty nesters.
Our wish list:
- Walkable neighbourhood with access to transit
- A nearby elementary school
- 1 or 2 blocks off of a main street
- Open concept units, 9 foot ceilings
- Studios to 3 bedrooms, 400-1200 sq. ft.
- Lots of natural light
- Storage space for bikes and equipment
- A common space with a kitchen, dining area and a guest suite
We think we can live smaller (and better) with great architectural design and furniture.
Coffee chats and questions answered
(call Kathy at 604-736-1287)
Business Meeting. MEMBERS ONLY. July 3, 9:30am-12 noon 151 West 1st Ave, Athlete's Village Co-op in the Olympic Village. Kid friendly (playground and toys on site). A workshop facilitated by Kathy McGrenera on our next steps in our site search.
Summer Bar-b-que, Sunday July 17, 4pm.
EVERYONE WELCOME, kid friendly.
Come get to know us and have some fun at at James and JM's beautiful home. Bring a salad or dessert plus whatever you want to throw on the grill.
RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org for address
We've been hard at work. So far we've:
- met with 3 city councillors
- met with a city planner
- reached consensus on vision and values
- met with 8 developers and an architect
- held 4 planning meetings, 6 socials
- held 5 workshops
- held 3 public info sessions
- hired our new facilitator, Kathy McGrenera
- been selected as a project by UBC School of Architecture
- 9 Equity Member households
- 8 Associate Member households