As of September 2016 we've closed our group to new members. We will let folks on our mailing list know when we begin to accept new members again. If you want to be added to our mailing list, please email us through our contact page.
Breaking News! . . . We have a developer! . . . We have a site!
Tomo Spaces + Happy City Labs + OUV
OUV and co-housing lite
We call our model "cohousing lite." Instead of designing our village from scratch as most communities do, we've found an innovative developer who owns land and wants to create a new kind of housing model for Vancouver. Each of us wil buy our own self-contained unit in Tomo House. The plans also include a large common space with kitchen and dining area for regular shared activities and a guest suite for visitors.
We are a positive, energetic, community minded people who agree that it takes a village to raise a child and enrich the lives of adults. Our mix goal is to have more than 1/3 of our units for young families, 1/3 folks who are still working and a little less than 1/3 retirees.
We think we can live smaller (and better) with great architectural design and furniture.
Charles Montgomery's book, Happy City, inspired us to design OUV to maximize our interactions. Take a look at Charles' TED talk to learn more:
We've been hard at work. So far we've:
- met with 3 city councillors
- met with a city planner
- reached consensus on vision and values
- met with 13 developers and an architect
- held 5 workshops
- held 3 public info sessions
- hired our new facilitator, Kathy McGrenera
- been selected as a project by UBC School of Architecture
- found our developer with a site (Tomo Spaces)!
- 9 Equity Member households
- 1 Associate Member household