welcome to our urban village
We call our model "cohousing lite." Instead of designing our village from scratch as most communities do, we'll work with a developer of quality homes who can assign us as many units as possible in a new complex. Each of us would buy our own unit at market rates (currently around $750 to $850 a square foot). Hopefully, that price will include our common space for regular shared meals and activities with our neighbours.
We are seeking positive, energetic, community minded people who agree that it takes a village to raise a child and enrich the lives of adults. We are looking for young urban professionals, families with kids, mid-career folks and empty nesters.
Our wish list:
- Walkable neighbourhood with access to transit
- A nearby elementary school
- 1 or 2 blocks off of a main street
- Open concept units, 9 foot ceilings
- Studios to 3 bedrooms, 400-1200 sq. ft.
- Lots of natural light
- Storage space for bikes and equipment
- A common space with a kitchen, dining area and a guest suite
We think we can live smaller (and better) with great architectural design and furniture.
Coffee chats and questions answered
(call Kathy at 604-736-1287)
Fraser Street walkabout. EVERYONE WELCOME
Saturday August 27, 10am.
Come see for yourself one of the neighbourhoods OUV is considering. Meet at Bâtard Bakery 3958 Fraser Street to explore possible housing sites and get to know the neighbourhood.
Business meeting MEMBERS ONLY
Sunday Sept. 4, 9:30 Breakfast, Meeting 10-12 noon
Athlete's Village Co-op, 151 West 1st Ave. (Enter through courtyard at back of the building since buzzer doesn't work)
Facilitated by Kathy McGrenera
Special Meeting Presentation by TERRA Housing's Simon Davies
Sunday Sept. 18, 9:30 Breakfast, Presentation 10-11am, facilitated discussion by Kathy McGrenera, 11-12noon.
We've been hard at work. So far we've:
- met with 3 city councillors
- met with a city planner
- reached consensus on vision and values
- met with 10 developers and an architect
- held 5 workshops
- held 3 public info sessions
- hired our new facilitator, Kathy McGrenera
- been selected as a project by UBC School of Architecture
- 12 Equity Member households
- 4 Associate Member households