welcome to our urban village
We call our model "cohousing lite." Instead of designing our village from scratch as most communities do, we'll work with a developer of quality homes who can assign us as many units as possible in a new complex. Each of us would buy our own unit at market rates (currently around $750 to $850 a square foot). Hopefully, that price will include our common space for regular shared meals and activities with our neighbours.
We are seeking positive, energetic, community minded people who agree that it takes a village to raise a child and enrich the lives of adults. We are looking for young urban professionals, families with kids, mid-career folks and empty nesters.
Our wish list:
- Walkable neighbourhood with access to transit
- A nearby elementary school
- 1 or 2 blocks off of a main street
- Open concept units, 9 foot ceilings
- Studios to 3 bedrooms, 400-1200 sq. ft.
- Lots of natural light
- Storage space for bikes and equipment
- A common space with a kitchen, dining area and a guest suite
We think we can live smaller (and better) with great architectural design and furniture.
Coffee chats and questions answered
(call Kathy at 604-736-1287)
Pride Parade EVERYONE WELCOME
Sunday July 31st
North side of Robson 1/2 block west of Thurlow in front of the GAP.
Parade starts at 12 noon but come as early as possible to get your space. Use public transit or bike if you can -- the downtown core will be jammed. Look for our OUV banner, bring water, sunscreen, and a low chair. Apres the parade join us for coffee at a nearby cafe or at Sunset Beach for the festivities.
Let Carol know you are coming: email@example.com
Business Meeting MEMBERS ONLY. Sunday, August 7, 9:30am-12noon, Athlete's Village Coop, 151 West 1st Ave.
Breakfast first then down to business.
Locarno Beach Family Picnic EVERYONE WELCOME, KID FRIENDLY
Sunday, August 14th, 2 -7 pm.
Meet at the grass park just west of Sasamat Street and Marine Drive. Rain or shine. We will put up an awning and our banners. Map to follow. Informal information meeting: learn more about OUV!
Fraser Street walkabout. EVERYONE WELCOME, KID FRIENDLY
Saturday August 27, 10am.
Come see for yourself one of the neighbourhoods OUV is considering. Meet at Bâtard Bakery 3958 Fraser Street to explore possible housing sites and get to know the neighbourhood.
We've been hard at work. So far we've:
- met with 3 city councillors
- met with a city planner
- reached consensus on vision and values
- met with 9 developers and an architect
- held 5 workshops
- held 3 public info sessions
- hired our new facilitator, Kathy McGrenera
- been selected as a project by UBC School of Architecture
- 12 Equity Member households
- 2 Associate Member households